Friday, March 27, 2015

Project #2 - The Coffee Collar

It goes by many names, coffee collar, java jacket, coffee-cup-holder, thing-that-keeps-my-hand-from-burning, but whatever you wish to call it, it can not be disputed that it's necessary for anyone who's steaming hot cup is a permanent extension of their constantly-in-motion body.  (Let's be honest, most caffeine addicts are usually a tad busy and distractible... Look! A squirrel!)  It may seem simple, but the plight of the hot cup is a real one.  I'm a Starbucks lover and in all honesty I have never been given a cup through the drive through there without a collar, but alas, the nearest drive-through Starbucks is 10 minutes out of my way - and certainly not on my way to the hockey rink!  I must settle for Tim Horton's, which is also good (dark roast anyone?), but my store is hit or miss on providing the collar which presented quite the problem this season when I was running late for a game and having gone through the drive-through because like every hockey-mom, I needed my coffee for the 7:30am game (read: getting to the rink by 6:30am).  I realized too late I had no collar and thus played a literal game of hot potato with my coffee cup.  Cue the stash-packed coffee collars.  Had I possessed one of these simple beauties in my car or bag, My hands would have had a much better morning.

The Coffee Collar is available here!


Today's project was simple, under an hour easily.  If you are not constantly interrupted by children asking for food during the process, 30 min!  It was a good stash buster and since I even had a collar on-hand, I didn't even need to print out a pattern.  Extra points for saving paper & ink!  The fabric was being hoarded for a tote bag (which you may still see..) and I had fusible stabilizer.  The stabilizer was a nice thin, low-profile with iron-activated adhesive on one side.  I opened the collar I was using as a template and cut around the stabilizer to the exact size of the collar.  I then laid it on the fabric and cut out around the shape, leaving room around the edges.  I did make two at the same time, in reversed colors, so don't be confused with the doubles in the pics.  Because I am anal-retentive about certain things, I marked the fold lined onto the stabilizer and placed the stabilizer adhesive side down onto the wrong side of the inner fabric, then ironed to fuse.  Follow me?  As an added bonus, the adhesive added a touch of texture to the inner fabric feel which I really liked.  Sort of adds a little extra grip to the inside to grip the cup.   I then sewed along the fold lines of the stabilizer/inside fabric.  Next, place the right sides of both fabrics together and sew right along the edge of the stabilizer, starting from the narrow, notch edge and finishing all the way around, stopping to leave the notch side open for turning.  Trim around the edge, leaving a small allowance.  If you want to be fancy use pinking sheers like I did.  Its just more fun with pinking sheers.  Turn the color right sides out and be sure to poke out the corners neatly.  Press it nicely and sew the notch end closed, turning the fabric ends inward, with a blind stitch.  I prefer to do this part by hand, you could certainly do it on the machine, but it would give you a thicker profile to the edge and the chance for uneven visible stitches.  Once the end is closed, press again and press the side folds well.  Lay it flat, see where the two ends overlap making sure the notch edge in on the inside, and pin in place.  Continue sewing around the edge overlap with a blind stitch to secure it together.  Again, you could sew the ends overlapped on the machine, but I like the clean, low profile of hand sewing it.  It avoids visible non-symmetrical stitches and honestly is quick to do, I would spend more time arraigning perfect stitches on the machine.


There you have it.  A stash-worthy coffee collar, perfect for keeping in your car, office, or bag fro that moment you need a collar...or jut to pretty up the cup you have!  Isn't it gorgeous?!



See the low-profile on the overlap?  I am not a fan of bulky seams and I like things to function well without annoying baubles and excess fluff because when it comes to my coffee, it's no time for games.  ") 


Set of two, so you never are without.



The low-profile makes it perfect for hiding in the pocket of even your cutest little clutches.

No comments:

Post a Comment