Monday, March 30, 2015

Project #5 - Mini wallet/gift card holder

Gift cards are about the most awesome thing to a kid now - Starbucks, Target, iTunes...it's the magic gold card that entitles you to buy that thing that your mother won't buy for you - the 'But it's my OWN money' card....  let's be honest, don't we all love giftcards? I hate the space they take up in my regular wallet though.  Perhaps that's why I love my Starbucks app so much... We had a trip to the library planned today and as I made a mental note to make sure I had all the library cards, I thought how great it would be if each of the kids had their own card holder.  Maybe teach a little responsibility, lessen the wad of cards I have to keep track of, it's a win-win! 

The Mini-wallet was incredibly fun to put together - I spent more time picking out the fabrics to use than actually sewing it!  For being so small, it used up a surprisingly good amount of fabric.  With the largest piece of fabric being 4.5x6, I was able to use pieces that really weren't big enough for anything else.  It used a very small amount of fusible interfacing and of course the two KAM snaps, both of which I had on hand, so no money spent out of pocket yet!  I have been seeing a lot of actual patterns for sale for making similar wallets, but honestly I don't think they are necessary.  I ended up making two sizes, one card-sized one for the kids and a slightly larger one for just about anything you can think of.  I will use mine for holding teabags and Via packs in my handbag so they will no longer get crushed amid the 26 lipglosses I accumulate I my bag.   The mini-wallet is a cool 3in x 4in.  The midi-wallet is 4.5in x 4in.  Love them both, I am thinking a cute little wrist strap could be a great addition to either one...

The Eiffle Tower Midi-Wallet












Want a tutorial? Let me know if the comments and I will see what I can do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment